Monday, October 28, 2013

Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes


I have been in Berlin a little bit over a month now, and to be completely honest, I still don't know what I'm doing. I keep getting all inside my head and worrying about the future and my career and silly things like that, when really, all I need to do is stop and look around.



I am in Berlin.
I have a place to live.
I am making new friends every day.
I just finished acting in a play for the first time since high school.
I am working on choreography and going to yoga classes and baking cakes and running.

I think this city is a pretty good place to come and figure things out. Rent is cheap, food is delicious, and there are millions of creative sorts doing their thing, making and experimenting. It's like being in a giant research lab for artists.

It is so easy to stress out about big things like "life plans," but really? No one knows what they're doing. Especially here. And if you do, I will bake 100 of these delicious little cakes and wrap them up and ship them to you, because you, my friend, are a walking miracle.


Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes with Coconut Whipped Cream and Strawberries

1/2 cup chocolate chips or roughly chopped dark chocolate
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 can full-fat coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Fresh chopped strawberries, to serve

Preheat your oven to 350ยบ and line or grease a cupcake tin.

In a large saucepan, melt together the chocolate chips and coconut oil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Once that's all smooth, whisk in the sugar, then the eggs one at a time. Sift in cocoa power and mix until combined. Pour the batter into the pan, filling each cup about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 15 minutes, or until tops are set. Make the whipped cream while they cool.

Open your can of coconut milk and scrape off the solidified coconut cream from the top. Do not use the liquid that has separated on the bottom. Using a stand or handheld mixer, whip the coconut cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Whisk in the maple syrup, powdered sugar and vanilla.

Serve cupcakes with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and chopped strawberries.

Mmm yummy. Life is good.



1 comment:

  1. What a perfect way to get your mind off of heavy thinking with these fabulous looking chocolate flour less cakes. Your pictures are stunning!

    ReplyDelete